Sunday, March 16, 2014

hazelnut lamingtons

So, obviously traditional sweets are out of the question as everything except maple syrup feeds the icky stuff in my system. But raw / vegan dishes are typically built without these sugars, so all systems go! 

While the following little recipe is supposedly for brownies...it does not taste like brownie. You can't just plop chocolate in a squishy square and call it a brownie, folks. If it acts like a duck, walks like a duck, but tastes like ham, then you have not eaten duck. 

I tried explaining them as "energy bite...ish" to skeptics who were led to nibble by my unconquerable enthusiasm. Their facial expressions revealed the depth of betrayal that arises when someone hands you prune and cocoa cake after vowing it was a brownie. A tale as old as time. 

Then I realized: they are lamingtons. Of course! The chocolate and coconut cake that is so quintessentially Australian.  


I was shocked by how easy and delicious these were. Put everything in a high-power blender or food processor and voilĂ ; from pulling out my blender to spreading the mixture into a glass dish, barely 10 minutes elapsed. And did I mention that it wasn't sticky so clean up was a breeze? It fell off the blender blades. 

I followed the recipe below except for a few tweaks...which probably made it a little drier, thus contributing to the overall ease of cleanup. 

1. Instead of dates, I had to use prunes. (I rebuke your raised eyebrow; it was unnoticeable and delicious! Or maybe that is the starvation taking...) 

2. I omitted both the vanilla and the cinnamon, and certainly did not add water. 

Try them! Although, unless you are loopy or need to poopie, use dates. 

Recipe from: http://www.rawmazing.com/raw-hazelnut-chocolate-brownies/

No comments:

Post a Comment